The property on which Louisburg now stands was originally acquired by the United States from France in 1803 as part of the Louisiana Purchase.
The Confederated Tribes of Wea, Piankishaw, Peoria, and Kaskaskia Indians arrived in this region in 1827 and discovered wooded hills, streams, and prairie.
The Shawnee Reservation, Pottawatomies to the west, Miamis to the south, and Missouri to the east all formed borders with the north.
Christmas Dagnette, the nephew of a Wea Chief, relocated to the region from Indiana.
He was employed by the government as an interpreter since he was fluent in a number of Indian languages in addition to English, French, and Spanish, all of which he learned at a young age.
Dagnette was buried at an Indian graveyard that is today on private land two miles south of Louisburg when she passed away in 1848.
The area of Lykins County (which became Miami County in 1861) was frequently visited by traders and missionaries, and in 1854 emigrant settlers began to erect their houses.
John W. Chaudoins was one of the first settlers in the Wea region.
He is thought to have been the first white guy to settle and develop in the Little St. Louis neighborhood after moving further south a few years later.
The majority of the Indian Trust Land in Kansas was bought by the federal government after a treaty was established with the Confederated Tribes.
When the grounds that had been set aside for the Reserve were put up for sale, Louisburg’s location was established.
Both “New St. Louis” and “Little St. Louis” were names for this early neighborhood comprising residences, establishments, places of worship, and a railroad terminal.
Louisburg was given its current name in 1871 or 1872 due to confusion with St. Louis, Missouri, caused by the Missouri Kansas Texas Railroad.
Louisburg experienced significant disorder at this time, in part due to the town’s status as a “boomtown” and ongoing disputes between Kansas Jayhawkers and Missouri Raiders.
Additionally, the railroad tracks that cut through Louisburg physically divided the town into North and South neighborhoods.
Reed & Wright, grain importers and millers, ran Louisburg Mills.
E.F. Cadwallader’s Fruit Farm and Nursery was located not far to the southwest.
Homes and businesses started to relocate from the north of the lines to the south and up the hill to what would eventually become downtown Louisburg around the year 1875.
Louisburg, a third-class city of 400 residents, was formed in 1882.
In the early 1900s, Main Street, subsequently known as Broadway, in downtown Louisburg was bustling with retail and supply establishments, two livery stables, a hotel, and a few automobiles.
James L. Williams operated Louisburg’s first gas station in the 1920s.
His original structure, which is still standing at K-68 and Broadway, has undergone numerous restorations and is now home to a variety of businesses.
Homer L. Williams led the neighborhood’s effort to build a log cabin for social and cultural gatherings.
On K-68, there was a fairgrounds to the east as well.
Sims, Perry, and Steger were some of the local developers.
On the East side of Main Street, several downtown shops were destroyed by fire in 1925.
In the 1930s, the State of Kansas contacted Williams on the necessity for an inspection station due to growing truck traffic on the K-68 road coming from Missouri.
The Paola, Kansas Victorian home’s front porch, which later became known as the Little Round House in Louisburg, functioned as the region’s Port of Entry office.
Later, the circular house served as a temporary home during World War II as well as a variety of small businesses.
The community has recently moved the Little Round House from its previous location at K-68 and Metcalf to the City Lake on South Metcalf, where it has been renovated for its historical value to Louisburg.
The MKT railroad, often known as the Katy, stopped operating in Louisburg in the late 1950s.
In the downtown region, there was yet another fire.
On the west side of Broadway, the downtown block of historic structures between First Street and K-68 (or Amity) was completely destroyed by fire in 1977.
Louisburg has the chance to continue growing and prospering in the future thanks to its location at the intersection of Kansas Highway 68 and U.S. Highway 69.
2,576 people were counted in Louisburg’s population in 2000.
In 2007, there were about 3,600 people living in the city, and about 6,000 people lived within a five-mile radius.
The 156 square mile Louisburg Unified School District 416 is located there.
The city planners aim for Louisburg’s continuous growth in terms of residential and commercial development.
The neighborhood seeks to maintain a high standard of living for its residents while retaining a small town feel.
Visitors to Louisburg can be certain that the city is tidy, has hospitable residents, attractive, modern schools, churches, restaurants, and businesses, as well as a wide range of options for prospective homeowners looking for a place to live.
If you have any awesome items that you need an auction company in Louisburg, KS to sell, we would be happy to help!
Give us a call with any questions: (816) 820-1124